Proof of United States citizenship
If you have never been registered to vote in the state of Kansas, you will need to submit valid proof of United States citizenship before we can complete your registration.
To satisfy this requirement, submit one of the following documents:
- Birth certificate that verifies U.S. citizenship
- U.S. passport (may be expired)
- U.S. naturalization document or the number of the certificate of naturalization
- Bureau of Indian Affairs card number, tribal treaty number or tribal enrollment number
- U.S. hospital record of birth indicating place of birth in the U.S.
- U.S. military record of service showing applicant's place of birth in the U.S.
- Final adoption decree showing the applicant's name and U.S. birthplace
- U.S. citizenship document issued pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952
- Consular report of birth abroad of a U.S. citizen
- Certificate of citizenship issued by the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Certification of report of birth issued by the U.S. Department of State
- U.S. driver's license or non-driver's identification card if the issuing agency indicates on the card that the applicant has provided satisfactory proof of U.S. citizenship
- American Indian card, with KIC classification, issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Ways to submit your proof of citizenship
You may submit any of the approved documents by:
- Emailing an image (scanned or photograph) to email@example.com
- Mailing a copy to the Election Office at 850 State Avenue, Kansas City, KS 66101
- Bringing a copy to the Election Office during normal business hours. If you bring us an original document, we will make a copy for our records and return the original to you.
- Faxing a copy to 913-573-8580
If you do not submit your proof of citizenship document with your registration application, a notice will be sent to you. If you do not respond to that notice, two additional notices will be mailed. If you do not respond within 90 days, your application will be cancelled. When you find your proof of citizenship, you are required to submit a new voter registration application along with your proof of citizenship.
Note: Please do not submit original documents as they will not be returned to you. Any documents submitted as proof of U.S. citizenship are not subject to open records requests.
Questions or need assistance
If you have questions about the proof of citizenship requirement, or need assistance meeting it, please contact our office.